A survey of American schoolchildren (purported to be the largest of its kind) has unsurfaced the unbelievable: Harry Potter is not the most read book/series. Sadly, the Potter books do show up on most high school, college and Oprah Book Club member lists (but we'll save that for another survey).
2. "The Foot Book," Dr. Seuss
3. "Are You My Mother?" P.D. Eastman
4. "Hop on Pop," Dr. Seuss
1. "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie," Laura Numeroff
2. "Green Eggs and Ham" Dr. Seuss
3. "The Very Hungry Caterpillar," Eric Carle
4. "If You Give a Moose a Muffin," Numeroff
2. "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs," Judi Barrett
3. "Officer Buckle and Gloria," Peggy Rathmann
4. "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs," JonScieszka
1. "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing," Judy Blume
2. "Sarah, Plain and Tall," Patricia MacLachlan
3. "Because of Winn Dixie" Kate DiCamillo
In related news, J.K. Rowling has announced plans to sue the folks that did this survey, saying it infringes upon a similar survey that she was planning to do.