Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Book News, In Brief

What does it say about brick & mortar bookstores when Toronto's only French bookstore is forced to close its doors? R.I.P. Librairie Champlain.


I used to get nervous when I was walking under skyscrapers and a plane flew overhead. Now it's bookstores that make me skittish. Reasons 1, 2 & 3.


Say what you will about Brett Ratner's movies, but when the director of Rush Hour 3 decided to start a publishing imprint, his choice of film books proved impeccable.


Most folks would never dare to say that Mary Shelley and William Shakespeare 'accidentally crapped out masterpieces,' but then, Cracked.com isn't written by 'most folks.'


I've got good news and bad news for those of you currently experiencing financial hardships. The good news is that used bookstores and comic book shops are offering tax-free cash for your beloved collectibles. The bad news is, most of your 'collectibles' were mass-produced bestsellers and not really worth a damn.